Avocado toast is EVERYTHING! Can I get an amen? It’s such an easy and healthy, delicious meal. When I was pregnant with my son just under six years ago, I would wake up in the middle of the night (to pee, of course) and I would be starving! I didn’t want to eat anything unhealthy but I needed something to fulfil my craving; avocado toast was my go-to, middle of the night, meal. And if we’re being honest, that was before the millennials made avocado toast a “cool” thing… I think to think of myself as a trendsetter, lol.
When you slice open a ripe Haas avocado and it is so pretty, doesn’t it make the avocado toast taste that much better? I am sure you have all seen the memes about how avocados are hard, then ready for like two seconds, then overripe haha. Well, this avocado was just perfect! I guess I had good timing?
My kids loved the taste and asked for more… meanwhile they “don’t like” avocados. Whatever works right? The best part about it, you can make avocado toast for any meal – breakfast, lunch, dinner, middle of the night snack, you name it! I bet you’re hungry now right? Let’s get right to the recipe:
- One 8-ounce ripe avocado, halved, pitted and peeled (I like Hass the best)
- Fine salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 slices whole grain or whole wheat bread
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and halved
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil or unsalted butter, softened
- Flaky sea salt, for serving
- Crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- Mash the avocado with a fork in a shallow bowl until chunky. Season with fine salt and black pepper.
- Toast the bread until browned and crisp. Lightly rub 1 side of each slice with the cut side of the garlic until fragrant; discard the garlic. Lightly brush the toasts with oil, and season with fine salt and pepper. Divide the mashed avocado evenly among the toasts, and top with more flaky sea salt, more black pepper and red pepper flakes if using.
I added an over-medium egg on top; it was the perfect addition to this already perfect meal. I especially like enjoying avocado toast at brunch, I would say that is my favorite meal at a bunch spread. I saw a shirt in Target that said “you are the avocado to my toast”; it was so cute, I need it in my life. Target is a whole other subject, don’t get me started on my favorite store! Ha! That will be another blog post.
Do you have a favorite avocado toast recipe? If so, I would love to hear about it in the comments. Sound off!